CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

09 October 2012

A sad one this time,

I got word last Friday that a friend on the PCP Site had suddenly pass away. It was a shock to say the least. I had never met Cathie, in real life, but as I read her posts, her comments, received mail from her and joined in swaps with her, I got to know her.

What is a friend? Do you have to have physical contact to be friends?
I don't think so.
I think friends are people you have a connection with, you have commonalities with, share a sense of humour maybe. It is someone you choose to spend time with, in this case on the computer, spending time making something special for them, "speaking" to them, taking time out of your life to read what they have to say and telling them whats going on in your life.
OK, you cannot run over for a cut of tea and a chat, you cannot be a shoulder for them to cry on or someone to give a hug of congratulations when something wonderful happens for them but with the advent of the Internet and skype it makes meeting people from all over easier. Also makes life a little more interesting.

But I digress.

As last Saturday was International Card Making day, I decided to make a card in Cathie's memory.

 
I used Kraft card for the base and Graphic 45 paper as the designer paper. Cathie had just started a discussion group on PCP for Graphic 45  as she really liked it. I agree, it is very nice paper, the quality is great and the colours are vibrant and easy to work with.
The image is an original by Cathie, herself.
 
The teddy is setting on a "cushion" reading his book. When I was attaching the teddy to the backing paper, it just looked as it was floating in mid air, it need to be grounded, could not figure out how to do this for ages, I did not want to use ribbon as I wanted to keep the card a masculine card, the bakers twine did not suit. I did not have any chair images that he could sit in.  I was looking around my craft room for some inspiration when I spotted Tiny's bed that he had chowed on while board one day and some of it contents lay on the floor. Light bulb moment, a cushion, Teddy could sit on a nice soft fluffy cushion. That's what he is sitting on, some of Tiny's bed. Sorted!
 
The card fold, is like a smaller card within a larger card, hopefully this image will show it better.
Sonny saw the card on Sunday and his comment was, "its a nice card but a bit plain" and I agreed at the time, it was missing something, but I always use glitter or ribbon on my cards but I think that the vibrancy of the colours of this paper makes up for that.
 
Recipe:
Card: Anitas Kraft card blank.
Designer Paper: Graphic 45 - Domestic Goddess.
Image: Cathie.
Colour medium: ProMarkers.
Cushion: Tiny's bed.

Cathie, my friend, you will be missed, may you Rest in Peace.



5 comments:

Maria :) said...

Vicky, your card is very great and I´m sure Cathie would have loved it. She will be missed so much but never be forgotten. I love you very much my friend, big hugs

pinky said...

Oh Vicky that's awful sad and must have been a real shock. I totally agree with you though, friends are friends whether on line or in real life. Its all about the connection you make. What a sad loss.Your card is a beautiful tribute to her. Love the autumn colours and sweet little bear. Hugs
Pinky
PS see you are living in Ireland too:)

Sabriel said...

I agree, you don't have to meet someone in real life for them to be a good friend. What a nice idea to make a tribute card - lovely. Sending you hugs.

Anne-Marie said...

Vicky, I've been sitting with your post in front of me for a good twenty minutes, and can only now make my comment....it's taken that long for me to stop crying. I agree with the other commentators...your beautiful card is such a fitting tribute to Cathie....and to use her own artwork is just wonderful....she would be totally thrilled.
You are so right about friendships, too.....it warms my heart to see the names of my on-line friends pop up on my screen....whether it be in a forum, an email, a comment on my blog, or even on FB.....you are my friend, and I am enriched because of you. Thank you for being my friend, Vicky....you are a treasure to me.

Petra said...

I don't think it is plain at all Vicky, I love your pattern choices here, and it matches the mood of the reason for making the card.

I struggle with commentary on the deceased, so will not say much except that Cathie will be missed by many.

I couldn't say it better than AM, thank you for being one of my friends too*

Post a Comment